Skip to main content

Distance Student Complaint Procedures

Student Complaints/Concerns 

Distance students and campus student follow the same steps for filing a complaint or concern. You can view the general University Complain and Concerns policy on the Dean of Student's Complaints and Concern page.  If you are participating in a Western Carolina University online program or course, and you have a complaint or concern about your experiences with WCU other than your final grade, you are encouraged to first contact the Program Director for the program or course. If your concern or complaint is with a particular non-academic office,  you are encouraged to reach out to the person who manages that office. You can contact Distance Learning Services at or 828.227.7397 if you need assistance with the contact information for the office or program. 

If your concerns are still unresolved, your first step as a student is to complete an official student complaint form.   If your complaint involves possible bias or violation of the student code of conduct you can complete the  Report a Bias or Student Conduct Violation Form.

Once this complaint has been filed with the University, if you have questions about the status of your complaint, please contact the Dean of Students  within Student Affairs - - 828.227.7147  - 227 HF Robinson Administration Building, Cullowhee, NC 28723

If a complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting Western Carolina University's procedure described above, the student may file a complaint with the following agencies:

1. North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints, c/o Student Complaints, 223 S. West Street, Suite 1800; Raleigh, NC 27603. Telephone 919.962.4550. You may also contact UNC Systems Office to NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaints for further details.

Please review the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Policy (PDF), print and complete the NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Form. Please submit the complaint to the address above.

2. Institutuional Accreditor (SACSCOC), SACSCOC Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, Student Complaints, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097 Telephone 404.679.4500 If a student has evidence that an institution is in significant non-compliance with SACSCOC standards, policies, or procedures, the individual should inform SACSCOC using the Complaints Against Institutions: Information Sheet and Form.

3. Students not residing in North Carolina and enrolled in a North Carolina institution that operates under SARA North Carolina may submit complaints to NCSEAA only after completing the complaint process established by the institution attended by the student. We direct you to SARA-North Carolina and to the Complaint Process page.
SARANC Complaint Form

North Caroline State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA) c/o SARA North Carolina,
P.O. Box 41349, Research Triangle Park, NC 27629, T: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
T: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667, Website:, Email:

4. If you are residing in California or the Northern Mariana Islands while attending Western Carolina University, you are not in a state that has joined SARA, you may file a complaint in the state where you are residing. As required by federal regulations, you need to reach out to these specific origanizations based upon your area:

Office of Web Services